Shine the Light is an event hosted collaboratively by STAR* (Sexual Trauma Awareness and Response) and HAART.
The event was held on Monday, April 27, 2015 at the East Baton Rouge Parish Main Library and is FREE and open to the public. Doors open at 6:00pm and the program is scheduled to run from 6:30-8:30pm.
This event serves to:
- Promote and educate about the importance of healthy sexuality and sexual health.
- Provide a safe space to support and empower those affected by sexual trauma and/or HIV/AIDS and other STIs.
- Show the linkage between unhealthy or abusive relationships, sexual trauma, and STI transmission.
- Provide a space where participants can openly discuss stigma, victim-blaming, and shaming.
Individuals can participate in three ways:
- Apply for the event through this easy online form.
- Submit an anonymous story for consideration to be read at the event by clicking this link.
- Attend the event!
If you have any questions about Shine the Light, please contact Meta Smith-Davis at 424-1786 or Phillip Williams at 424-1795.
*STAR’s mission is to provide support, education and advocacy to empower all individuals and families affected by sexual trauma, and engage and mobilize the community to prevent sexual trauma.