Health Insurance Program (HIP)
The Louisiana Health Insurance Program (HIP) is a federally funded program through the Office of Public Health’s HIV/AIDS Program. The purpose of HIP is to assist qualified individuals with payments to insurance providers for premium payments as well as co-payments and deductibles as specified by the applicant’s insurance plan, including private insurance carriers as well as Medicare Parts B and D.
The program helps cover the following expenses:
- Physician Visits
- Laboratory Work
- Diagnostic Tests
HIP Eligibility Requirements:
- HIV+/AIDS Diagnosis
- Louisiana Residency
- Proof of Income (Income cannot exceed 300% of the federal poverty guidelines.)
- Proof of Insurance/Copy of Policy
- Schedule/ Summary of Benefits from Insurance Provider
- Proof of current Low Income Subsidy application (Medicare benefit recipients)
HIP Program Exclusions:
- Dental Services
- In-patient hospital stays
- Erectile Dysfunction Drugs
- Discount Health and Pharmacy Plans
- Products or services not covered by the primary insurance carrier.
Enrollment in HIP is subject to program availability and requires annual recertification. To learn more about HIP or to apply to the program, please call the HAART offices at (225) 927-1269.
HIP Forms & Information
2012 HIP Application