Health Insurance Program (HIP)
The Louisiana Health Insurance Program (HIP) is a federally funded program through the Office of Public Health’s HIV/AIDS Program. The purpose of HIP is to assist qualified individuals with payments to insurance providers for premium payments as well as co-payments and deductibles as specified by the applicant’s insurance plan, including private insurance carriers as well as Medicare Parts B and D.
The Health Insurance Program (HIP) enrollment has moved to Louisiana Health Access Program (LA HAP) at the STD/HIV Program (SHP) office effective Monday, June 30, 2014.
THIS MEANS ALL APPLICATIONS & RE-CERTIFICATIONS FOR INSURANCE SERVICES (HIP) MUST NOW BE COMPLETED ON LA HAP APPLICATIONS AND SENT TO LA HAP via fax to 504-568-3157 (preferred) or by mail to 1450 Poydras St, Suite 2136, New Orleans, LA 70112.
The program helps cover the following expenses:
- Physician Visits
- Laboratory Work
- Diagnostic Tests
- Dental and Vision Premiums, Co-Pays and Deductibles
HIP Eligibility Requirements:
- HIV+/AIDS Diagnosis
- Louisiana Residency
- Proof of Income (Income cannot exceed 300% of the federal poverty guidelines.) View the 2017 federal poverty guidelines.
- Proof of Insurance/Copy of Policy
- Schedule/Summary of Benefits from Insurance Provider
- Proof of current Low Income Subsidy application (Medicare benefit recipients)
HIP Program Exclusions:
- In-patient hospital stays
- Erectile Dysfunction Drugs
- Discount Health and Pharmacy Plans
- Products or services not covered by the primary insurance carrier
- Medicare Part D premium penalty payments
Enrollment in HIP is subject to program availability and requires annual re-certification. To learn more about HIP or to apply to the program, please call the HAART offices at (225) 927-1269.
HIP Quick Facts & How to invoice HIP
- In order to be eligible for HIP, consumers must have a primary insurance provider (Medicare or commercial insurance).
- HIP pays for co-payments/coinsurance/cost-share and deductibles for program participants.
- If the services/medications rendered are not covered or denied by the primary insurance carrier then they are NOT eligible for reimbursement by HIP.
- HIP will not reimburse consumers for payments made directly to providers.
- To file a claim with HIP please send a HCFA-1500 (Health insurance claim form) as well as an EOB from the primary insurer to HAART, Attn: HIP, PO Box 66913, Baton Rouge, LA 70896 or fax to (225) 927-1267 Attn: HIP.
For more information, please feel free to download the HIP Provider Packet.